This may come as no surprise to you, but I just realized that January is almost over. How did it slip by so quickly? These days are merely a blink, a breath or a vapor... live every day to the fullest. Live every day with out regrets. Because all to soon, tomorrow becomes yesterday. If you are not intentional, you will miss out. Here is the DIY collage print I promised. I found this idea on Pinterest, and slightly adapted it to work with what I had on hand.
Now, of course, I was working on these until the very last minute on Christmas Eve, and forgot to take a before picture. In fact, I almost forgot to take a picture at all. Oh well...
I was really pleased with how these turned out. The original idea was to take the entire photo shoot and collage it onto the mat surrounding the focal point.
I actually found these chunky frames at a yard sale, so decided to forget about the mat, and just mod-podge on the frames themselves. Here it goes:
1) Take extensive pictures of an event (i.e. a sporting event, family portraits, birthday party, etc).
2)Find the picture you like the best (take into consideration the frame size and orientation). This will be printed in color at your favorite picture printing place.
3)Convert and save all other images that you want to use into black and white.
4)Transfer them to a word document. You can vary the sizes to add different dimensions. Keep in mind your mat/frame dimensions.
5) Print and cut out.
6) Arrange the pictures around the frame. Secure them temporarily with rolled tape on the back.
7) Mod-Podge them on. When all B&W's are in place, do a layer of mod-podge over the top to smooth and seal.
Things I learned....
~My square frames had an odd photo opening. I had to take this into account when printing my color (had to go to a 5x7 with a white border that I added in), and also picking the best picture. I would have rather had the one on the bottom left corner as the focal point for my nephew. To me it summed up the football experience...but, I couldn't get it into a square without cropping off the helmet.
~Because I went with just the frame, I did paint the inside and outside black. I did this after the pictures were on. This added an extra seal, and also added a little flexibility on placement. I painted up on the surface a little bit to help cover my cutting irregularities.
~Placing the B&W's can get tedious. The tape on the back helped in rearranging again and again. Don't trim the photo until you are absolutely certain that you need to.
Let me know if you try this with the mat. I am curious to see which approach works better.
Serving the Greater Phoenix Area, AZ